Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Obruni Crossing

So- I was initiated into Africa this evening...myself and six of the other girls in the house (Obruni = white person and I walked around for 5 hours today without seeing another one, so imagine the commotion when six of us went out together) went to reggae night on the beach...needless to say, amazing. We just danced (all in our long skirts might I add) and laughed and yes, it was cheesy, but also yes, it was amazing. A man came up to me and said- you look so happy to be in my country- and I obviously just said yes.

I know I've only been here a couple days, and it is in so very many ways, scary, but it is also in so many ways I feel like exactly where I need to be. The girls here are amazingly diverse (culturally, experiences, emotionally, everything) yet we all somehow found ourselves here...also I feel like it's pertinent to add that it took me traveling over 5000 miles to have a girls night out ( a concept which is not as acceptable as an excuse to ward off men here as it is back home). Regardless...it was great. I head to the school tomorrow to actually begin what I came here to do, which should be exciting. Met some students at reggae night who are also volunteering there, so that will be fun to see them all again (also additionally...an additional addition if you will...I am the oldest one here?! Which never happens...)

I feel like so much of me can't get used to the idea that I am actually here, it is so different but in so many ways so so easy to be here- I mean, we still had to figure out who was going to pay whom for dinner and cabs, I've seen so many kids who are just the same as the kids back home, cab drivers are still terrifying...there are just goats and chickens in the roads at all times here...

Some fun facts for those who would like to know the nitty gritty  (which I know is everyone)

-I took my first hot shower a couple of minutes ago...glorious.
-We ride around (when not in a cab) in a gutted van with rows of seats called a tro-tro... you hop on and off and there is a man who jumps in and out and clicks at people from the side to let you know if there is room in there...
-I ate a coconut off the street, drank the water and used the coconut as a spoon
-I also ran INTO a tro-tro and have a quite gnarly scratch and bruise on my arm
-Saw the soccer stadium (the one from the World Cup)
-Did my first load of laundry by hand (here, not ever)
-It is very very hot and sticky- just what you'd expect Africa to be
-The volunteer coordinator (who lives in the house) finished 9th in the last Accra International Marathon and runs 3 HOURS every other morning starting at 3am...I may have to take up running just to say I did it

Ok- I also have to sleep. Love to all...

~Nicole

1 comment:

  1. The Lord is really moving!! So glad you are experiencing so much already. be available and bemolded!

    ReplyDelete